NEW HORIZONS is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting social development and cultural preservation for the local territory and bridging the local population to the constantly changing world outside by means of education and training, information service, and international cooperation.
It is founded and run by young professionals who are designing, implementing and evaluating local and international youth projects. NEW HORIZONS is dedicated to creating and implementing educational concepts that allow participants to develop a self-defined strategy of learning in the framework of non-formal education.
New Horizons is currently member of a pan-European network of 7 organizations from 7 European countries and, at local level, member of CESV Messina (The Italian Volunteer Centres), a large public network providing support services for NGOs.
In essence, the founding members aim to construct “new horizons” in the imminent future of the people and crucially young people in their city of residence. Based in Tusa, a small ancient town of approximately 3,000 inhabitants in the province of Messina (Italy), New Horizons takes the initiative to rediscover, revitalize, and re-launch a floundering town dealing with depopulation, youth unemployment and the shortage of socio-cultural services for its remaining residents.
We also operate from Palermo, the capital city of Sicily, where there is a vibrant environment of social entrepreneurship, cultural initiatives and international exchanges. We are part of the Innovation Network Palermo, a community aspiring to be a meeting point for professionals of diverse competences to exchange ideas, new technology and best practices for innovation.
Specifically, the OBJECTIVES are:
* to prepare young people with necessary skills and competences, thus increase their employability;
* to make the local territory an attractive place to live, work and thrive;
* to develop and implement programs in non-formal education for young people & adults;
* to support active citizenship and integration of all people regardless of their social and ethnic backgrounds
– Project design and implementation
– Research and data collection
– Education, training and job orientation
– Promotion of arts and culture in the local territory
– International Cooperation